Friday, January 13, 2012

Where are your shoes?

Have you ever had one of those days where it would have been easier to just start over. I have had many! This day is worth sharing.
Now I love my friends and when they want to help, it is wonderful but sometimes it is just easier to do things myself. Lets face it I do not travel lightly. Me and three young kids, have a lot of crap and there is usually yelling, occasional crying along with a throw down temper tantrum at any given moment anywhere we go. We have a routine and certain steps we usually follow each time. Otherwise who knows what could be left behind????


On this particular day, you could call it a comedy of errors. It was August AND HOT, our good friends John and Jen were visiting with their three year old son as well as my 12 year old sister. Since my husband was working for the day we thought a day in DC may be fun for the kids. I left my youngest, who was 7 months at the time at daycare, and we packed up for the day. The Aerospace museum was our destination. The plan was to leave at 10, drive to the train and walk the mall to the smithsonian, maybe get some lunch after and head home. The goal was to be back around 3-ish to pick up the baby and maybe swim a little before dinner. Sounded like a well thought out plan, easy to execute, right? So we got the baby dropped off early, and started our process of getting out the door. My "diaper bag" had turned into a "snack bag" to try avoid any major temper tantrums, on the way out the door I threw in an extra pair of underwear and shorts for my son. (though 4 he still could not "hold it " very well). I thought I was so smart. Typically when my husband or I would get the kids dressed we do the whole nine yards. I know what you are thinking...it is good to have your kids get themselves dressed, teaches independence. If you know me well, I start teaching indepedence as young as possible. The earlier they can do crap on their own, the less I have to do right? But if there is one thing I have ZERO tolerance for, it is waiting for kids to get dressed and put on shoes! Shoes are the worst. First if my kids could be barefoot everyday they would, and you would think getting them on was equivalent to building a rocket. So it is just easier for us to do it. Get them dressed and in shoes and we are ready to roll. That morning our friends were helping me out so while I packed up they got the kids all in the car. I grabbed my bagel on the run, jumped in the car and we were off. Only about half hour late (pretty good), we only live about a half hour from the metro station, made it there with no traffic and there are even plenty of parking spaces. Wow, so far so good. "Ok lets get going" My son unplugs his seatbelt, so excited and jumps up front to get on the train. All of a sudden I say, "ok, get your shoes on lets go." He justed looked at me. "Um....where are your shoes?" Again just looked at me. Then I looked at my daughter...shoeless as well. I turned to my friend and he shrugs and took the mature way out, "I just told them to get in the car." AWESOME.

SO now what???? After deciding it was ridiculous to go all the way back home, we found out we were only two stops from Pentagon City (a mall). My two kids jump in the strollers we brought and  a quick pitstop to the mall to get shoes...no problem. Of course the only place I can find was stride rite (which any mom knows is the equivalent of getting yourself airjordans)....$90 later out WALKED out in new shoes. Finally on the train...about 7 stops to go. "Mom, I have to go to the bathroom." Have you felt this panic on a train from a 4 year old whose ability to hold it is non existant? You cannot stop the train...there is not jump out and go on the side of the street. NOTHING. I had nothing. (if someone even says I should have used a bottle, I will scream!)The dance then started, and remembered how smart I was and brought clothes...so I told him just to go. He fought it, but could not hold it any longer....the relief on his face was picture worthy. So quick change on the train, crisis averted....2 stops, 1 stop. "Mom I gotta go." AGAIN???? shit I only brought 1 pair of clothes. Now what?? The train stopped, my friend John scooped him up and started running, my 4 year old son under his arm like a football. Two men in a quest for a bathroom (pretty sure he had to go too). We find them soon enough in the ever so clean metro bathroom, still jumping, what the hell....the woman inside was taking her sweet time....so i finally just yelled  "pull his pants down", and then I saw my 4 year old peeing on the wall in a train station. What a moment to be proud! Hopefully this will never be replicated as a drunken college student someday! (should have got the picture)

We FINALLY get up to the street and had to walk 6 blocks in the 100 degree DC day to the museum (I miscalculated the stops). Kids were less enthused with the museum and everyone got hungry. FAILED. So we thought lets walk to a restaurant or get sandwiches it was nice out and go home. The day could be salvaged. Get to the door, the sky was  BLACK and then...BOOM, CRACK huge thunderstorm.... Into the VERY CROWDED museum McDonalds we went. FORTY FIVE minutes later the storm lets up enough that we try out venture back to the train. It drizzled, and it poured, it was comical watching us trudge back to the station. By this point we were not even rushing...why bother, we were wet with no umbrellas. (another thought...who just carries an umbrella? do you ever feel like when you are caught in the rain, everyone just happens to have an umbrella and you the only one who did not know rain was coming) We get to the train...less than dry and get on, thank god our trip back was uneventful, and finally make it to the car. Without saying anything, we were all relieved the day was over (or so we thought). We get in the car and NO GAS!!!! I am not kidding you. By the way it was about 330 in DC....quitting time....it took 20 minutes to drive 4 miles to get gas. We made it...barely. As John and I chatted on the way home, thinking what else could have gone wrong for the day (it could have right) we turn around and find ALL the kids and his wife sleeping in the back. PERFECT! Maybe it was all worth it! Definately makes for a good story! Hope we get to daycare in time to get the baby!

3 comments:

  1. "Stayin bed" days are what I call them. When the first thing happens, no worries, when the second thing happens, hmmm, the third thing happens and "I should have stayed in bed today."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    I am out of breath, but can see this episode as clear as day. All I can say is Johnnie is a gem, you are relentless...and who give a damn about the umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listen I never thought to look at their feet. I figured they were all set. Don't forget going down the mall in the walkway with the rocks and the strollers kept getting stuck. Good Times..

    ReplyDelete