Thursday, January 31, 2013

Possessed by the Devil

Is there an age when you think your kids became possessed by the devil??? I am sure that my friends with older kids say this will happen again later, but for now I am convinced the minute my kids turn 2...something comes over them.  I do not like them very much until they turn 4...ish. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my kids always, but between the ages of 2 & 3...something is wrong with their brains. They are just really learning to communicate properly and there is NO SUCH THING as reasoning with a 2 year old. So any emotion they have is MAJOR and mostly embarassing for us. There so many days I swear I will never leave the house again. But lets be honest...we are glutens for punishment and always hope for the best...the "next time" will be different. When will we ever learn?

It started with my son Joey, two was not bad, he was still pretty cute, but once three hit, he could throw down a good temper tantrum...but that was back when I was a confident "new mom." I could divert his attention in the blink of an eye and save myself some serious embarrassment. EASY

Then came my daughter Hailey...wow that child has given me a run for my money. Anyone who has witnessed a Hailey tantrum knows what I am talking about. My sister thought I was full of shit until she saw one with her own eyes. ( I have actually videotaped her before...just for posterity!)You could not stop her...she would full out throw down flail with arms and legs as she screamed rolling on the floor. Where do kids learn this stuff? This would occur in the blink of an eye if she did not get what she wanted or was upset about something. I never knew it was coming. Whether it was walking through target, sitting on the beach, watching one of Joeys soccer games....I was never prepared and it always took me by surprise.  Her preschool was conveniently located in the high school I work in, so she would walk into school with me every morning. One morning it was raining and she was so excited to wear her new rain boots, I was more than happy to oblige. We walked our normal route and as we turned the corner into the main hallway she started....yelling, arms flailing and rolling on the ground. Why you ask???  Her rain boots were wet...that is right, she got her RAIN BOOTS wet. I first tried to reason with her (I know, BIG mistake), then I threatened her, all I had left was just leave. I walked right over her and kept walking to her room. Left her there right in the middle of the hallway looking like a mental patient. I felt bad, but really....how long could it last?. Must have worked, because within 20 ft...she was running behind me, screaming, but at least on her feet. I didn't know how I was going to leave her with her teacher this way...then as quick as it happened, it was over by the time we got into her class she was as happy as can be....possessed! Hailey is almost 5 now and I can finally control her rants, the devil has moved onto the next victim...ALLY.

Ally just turned three and I was convinced she was going to be my easy kid. Laid back, independent, just easy, then she turned two. Oddly enough her second birthday was right after we found out #4 was on the way. The past year has been a comedy of Ally tantrums from grocery stores to friends houses, front yard throw downs to her new DEVIL talk. Ally can be the sweetest little girl, but there are times I am ready to pull out my hair and throw down my OWN temper tantrums. The last time I took my kids to get ice cream ended in Ally's rolling on the ground because I could not hold her (and her baby brother) while I got money out of my wallet to pay. Is this a joke? what does she not understand? But here we are in the middle of a busy ice cream place with her rolling on the floor....awesome.  So needless to say....I am now counting down the days until Allys turns four, 335 days to go.

All I can do about these moments is laugh. Laugh that my 3 year old will look right in my eyes and do the exact opposite of what I told her to do, then run up, hug me and say, "I love you mommy." DAMN...got me again. Even tonight, Ally was told to go to her room with she did her 500th headstand on the couch and fell on her sister...AGAIN. I went to get her and she says, "Mommy I am not ready to come out, and I love you." I mean really these kids have my damn number....I will win SOMEDAY!!! As for now I have only one more child to get through the terrible 2 - 3's...then it will be the teen years to watch out for. Maybe at that point Tim and I will just embarrass them and throw a temper tantrum or two when they do not listen. I just may.....So when did you kids become possessed by the devil?


As a side note, I know I have not written in a while. After having the baby, going back to work full time, and my husband working in another state, life has been a little chaotic. I think I finally have a routine down, and hopefully will be able to start writing again. I hope you all enjoy and keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment